Saturday, December 28, 2013

Breakfast Braid



I love breakfast.  During the weekdays I usually drink a shake or eat a granola bar on my drive to work but on the weekends, I love breakfast.  If you want to win my love over just cook me something with bacon (the real kind only!) or spicy pork sausage smothered in gooey cheese.

In my family, we like to celebrate our favorite holidays with a big breakfast and bloody marys.  That is just how the Dixons roll.  I also love to get together with friends for a nice breakfast and typically I make some sort of egg casserole.  A recipe is never involved, it usually is just whatever I have in my freezer but it always includes bacon or spicy pork sausage and cheese.

I found this recipe on Cooking Light but I was feeling indulgent so there was nothing "light" about my version.  As I usually do when making breakfast I pulled out the ingredients that I had on hand and wanted to use: spicy pork sausage, green peppers, jalapeno pepper, onion, garlic, pepper jack cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, pizza dough and of course eggs.  The possibilities are really endless so just select the foods you would want in your dream omelet.

First I cooked the pork sausage with peppers, onions and garlic in a nonstick skillet on medium.  Once the sausage was cooked I added a couple eggs and continue to mix it up until it was all cooked through.

On a cookie sheet I laid out the pizza dough where it formed a rectangle.  I placed the filling in the middle of the dough so that there was about a 3" border of dough and topped it with the cheese.  Using my kitchen scissors I cut 2-inch-long diagonal cuts about 1 inch apart on the long sides of the dough.

Starting with the top and bottom of the rectangle dough folded in, I then "braided" the dough by alternating strips over the filling.  Make sure you have sealed it all up so it cannot leak out.  Brush the top with an egg white. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes.

Didn't it turn out pretty?  This will now replace my egg casserole as my go-to breakfast dish for celebrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...