Sunday, November 6, 2011

Grandma's Gems

This past summer my grandmother lost a battle to lung cancer. Today there was a memorial for her at her church so I dedicate this post to her and one of her gems that I was able to repurpose.

My "Grandma Pat" was a very modest and selfless housewife. Even when her husband past away 25 years ago she devoted her life to her kids and grandkids.


While her sister lived a very wealthy lifestyle owning a few homes and furnishing them with paintings that cost the same as one year of my college tuition, I can't remember anything that my grandmother actually purchased for herself. Knowing that I didn't expect to find much in her condo when my aunts, uncles and cousins sorted through the belongings she had left behind.

Even so it was sort of disappointing going through her things. Not because I wanted material things but because I wanted to own things that reminded me of her... things that she used to making her house a home for our family. So I started to grab servingware, much to my husband's dismay. We have a TON of serving pieces and he kept asking where we would store this new collection. To be honest, I didn't know but I wanted to find something.

One of the items I grabbed was a silver lazy-susan and a clear crystal looking (but really plastic) tray for on top. Totally does not go with our design but why not.
Luckily I found a great organizational use for a lazy-susan thanks to this pin on Pintrest. Not only did I find a great place to store it, but it has a functional use! Under my guest bathroom sink I have tons of bottles (lotions, sunscreen, bug spray, etc.) and now I am able to easily access them all.

Now on a daily basis I feel like Grandma Pat is helping me make my house a home... and just any home but an organized one. Love you Grandma Pat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...