Friday, January 20, 2012

Mexican Stuffed Peppers

I wanted to make stuffed peppers and there are a trillion recipes out there.  Some are Italian inspired, some of them have ground beef in the recipe, and the majority of them are written to make all at once.  Well what I was looking for was the exact opposite of all of those... a Mexican flavor, vegetarian, slow cooker meal.  That being said I created my own recipes.

INGREDIENTS
  • 6 green peppers
  • 1 can enhildada sauce
  • 2 cups shredded cheese
  • Filling ingredients (see below)

FILLING INGREDIENTS
  • Package of mircowaveable brown rice
  • 1 can of black beans
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes (Mexican kind)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 2 tbsps cumin
  • 1 fresh jalapeno diced 

Mix all of the filling ingredients in a bowl so that every spoonful has a bite of everything.
Take the enchilada sauce and pour half in the filling mix and the other half in the slow cooker.  Then slice off the tops of the peppers and spoon in the mixture. 
Now squeeze them all into the slow cooker and top with your favorite Mexican cheese.  I used pepper jack only because that is what I had in my fridge.  (Next time I would probably just mix the cheese in the mixture instead of on top.  While it looks pretty here... it kind of dries up for the finished product.)
Set the slow cooker on low for 5 hours.  Then you end up with 6 servings of a great meal.  The cool thing is that each one fits perfectly in the 2 cup twist-and-seal plastic containers so that I can freeze them for my pilot hubby.  With him living on the road I try to fill my freezer with different meals so he can eat well while he is away from home.

Next time I would top them with fresh green onions, cilantro and maybe FF sour cream to make it taste fresher.  If you are not counting calories, this would be awesome to eat with tortilla chips too.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...